About the Academy of Self Defence
The Academy of self defence is run by Garry Smith who is a 4th Dan Senior Instructor in Ju Jitsu. Garry is an Associate Instructor with the British Combat Association, a member of the Self Defence Federation and a Sport England qualified senior coach.
The Academy has played host to some of the worlds best self defence instructors, Itay Gil, Marc ‘Animal’ MacYoung and Rory Miller. Our chief instructor is Garry Smith, let us tell you something about him;
Garry trains at least 5 times a week himself and instructs three times a week at his Applied Ju Jitsu classes, Combat Fitness and Self Defence classes here in Sheffield.
Garry has extensive experience of teaching in further and higher education, and secondary schools, and has coached youngsters and adults in various sports and activities for many years. This experience, together with his martial arts skill and ability, enables him to blend the most effective traditional and streetwise methods to create dynamic programme of activities for the Academy of Self Defence.
All our instructors are Black Belts, first aid qualified, hold a reccognised coaching qualification and are all CRB checked. The Academy of Self Defence has an exciting package of opportunities available and welcome applications to train with us. We do not accept everyone but please contact us if you want to train with the best.
The Academy of self defence delivers a range of combat fitness and martial arts based classes and services to suit most people, these include:
- Combat based fitness training (individual or group) never a dull gym session with this just high energy training, real gains in real time.
- Street real self defence and personal protection training (Individual or Group), this stuff works.
- Applied Ju Jitsu training, no Ninja nonsense, just what works in the real world not films and TV.
- Bespoke personal safety audits and action plans.
- Personal safety at work training.
- Stress buster sessions (individual or group)