Follow these guidelines to ensure you hold on to your mobile phone:
- Register your phone with Immobilise. This is a FREE online property database that allows you to register anything with a serial number, such as televisions, MP3 players, laptops, satellite navigation systems, games consoles and mobile phones.
- Try not to flaunt your mobile in public; be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid leaving your mobile unattended, especially when in public
- Always use your phone’s security code or PIN.
- Record your phone’s IMEI number and keep it somewhere safe. (You can access the IMEI number by typing *#06# into your handset, or by checking under the battery or on the side of the box that the phone came in.) In the unlikely event of your mobile being stolen the network will need this number to block it. The police will also need this number to record it as being stolen.
Source: South Yorkshire Police