10 Tips for Safer Shopping this Christmas
10 Top Tips for a Safer Christmas Shopping
- Be aware of your surroundings and who is close to you. Look for suspicious persons, etc. when you are in any area.
- Do not place your wallet or purse in a bag or unsecured pocket, especially where it can be seen.
- Shop in pairs at the very least. Take a friend or family member shopping with you. There is something to be said for safety in numbers, its more fun too.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay for purchases with credit, charge or debit cards. Carry cash and wallets in a front pocket to reduce your chances of having your pocket picked.
- Do you actually need the whole wallet or purse full of cards? Could one do and the rest be left secure at home? Plus put the card cancellation number into your phone or write it down in case the card is lost or stolen then you can report it really quickly.
- When using a keypad either in store or at a cash point to type your pin number always shield it with your other hand to prevent others seeing what you are keying in.
- Do not leave bags unattended or behind you whilst examining goods or completing transactions. They could ‘walk’.
- Don’t leave car phones, purses, CD cases, or any other item of value in your parked car where they can be seen whilst you are off shopping. Always conceal these items.
- Don’t leave purchased merchandise in your parked car where it can be seen whilst you pop back for that last item. Conceal these items also, thieves strike quickly.
- As you return to your car, make sure to keep your car key in your hand do not switch off as you approach your car look around and under it as you approach, if anyone acting suspicious close to it move away and seek assistance.
These tips were brought to you by the Academy of Self Defence, MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU.